Thanks to Mark Luckie for this post
Nonprofit organizations still rely heavily on the Internet for images and video, but are not completely versed in the restrictions that apply to borrowing creations that are posted by others.
Mark Luckie’s latest blog post lists the top 10 common misapprehensions regarding copyright use, including:
- This image is on the internet, so it’s cool if I copy and use it.
- If it’s old, I can use it.
- If I say I’m not violating copyright laws, it’s cool.
- I’m not making money off of it.
- If I just use a 30 second clip.
- If I just use a few words.
Mark’s blog, 10,000 Words was created as a resource for journalists and web and technology enthusiasts to learn the tools that are shaping digital journalism. The site offers examples, resources, and tutorials of both new and established technologies used to enhance journalism. Follow him on Twitter to keep up with his latest entries.